- Orange cauliflower is also known as: Cheddar Cauliflower
- Origin and cultivation: discovered as a spontaneous mutation in 1970 in Canada; improved through breeding at Cornell University
- Availability: year-round
- Appearance: bright orange color
- Flavor: like regular white cauliflower
- Trivia: Pigment is from beta-carotene (converts to Vitamin A once you eat it), the same as in orange carrots. If you eat a lot of orange cauliflower, or carrots, or anything else with beta-carotene every day, your skin will turn orange, a condition known as carotenemia
1/2 head of orange cauliflower, cut in 1 inch size pieces
1/2 head of purple cauliflower, cut in 1 inch size pieces
1/2 head of white cauliflower, cut in 1 inch size pieces
1 red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint leaves
1 clove of garlic, minced
5 small Thai hot peppers (or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 450ºF.
In a bowl, mix the cauliflower with the olive oil, onion, garlic and peppers.
Add some salt and pepper and put everything in a roasting pan. Roast for about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice until the cauliflower is tender.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with mint.